The Post Office opened in Omakau on the 27th May 1937. Built of triple brick. The Post Masters residence was built on a separate title behind the Post Office. The Post Office doubled as the local telephone exchange and has a small telephone booth inside that we hope to restore in the future.
When the Post Office was eventually closed, the large safe door was removed, but the vault still remains. The Post Office space was subsequently used as a craft shop and then eventually converted to Rail Trail accommodation. Since then it’s been used as both Rail Trail accommodation and long term accommodation for workers establishing the first dairy farm in this valley.
In December 2013, we purchased the property and re-established it for what we think is the best purpose for these wonderful old buildings, and that is accommodation for Rail Trailers and holiday home customers.